From Plate It Healthy!
From Plate It Healthy!
Check out one of Plate It Healthy's fresh recipes. Click any picture below!
Splash of Lemon: Cucumber, Red Onion, Tomato Salad
Who says that you have to have lettuce or spinach to enjoy a fresh salad? Spice it up and try something different. This Splash of Lemon Salad using cucumber, red onions and tomatoes will provide a fresh, zesty taste and can either serve as a side or main dish. This salad is delicious whether you eat it immediately or let it chill within the refrigerator. Enjoy and let me know how much you love it as well.
Yields: 4 Servings
Total time: 10 minutes to prepare
• 3 large English cucumbers, diced
• 2 large tomatoes, diced
• 1/2 coarsely chopped red onions
• 3 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, basil, or dried dill
• 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, preferably fresh lemon
• Pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
Dice large English cucumbers in a large bowl or tray
Add large tomatoes and red onions
Massage in extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice
Add sea salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
Top with fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, basil, or dried dill
Add an additional splash of lemon juice (optional)
Eat immediately or place in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour!
Itsy-Bitsy Egg Plant Pizza Bites
Yields: 3-4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
• 1 large eggplant (Cut into ¼ inch slices, you will have about 10-12 slices from one large
• Kosher salt
• 1 cup of homemade tomato sauce or high-quality marina sauce (no salt). Or small slices of tomatoes (non-seasoned)
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup of raw spinach
• 1 cup of shredded organic mozzarella
• 1 cup of baby portabella mushrooms
• 3 cloves garlic, minced, crushed, or garlic powder
• Pepper flakes (optional)
• 1/3 cup of fresh basil leaves (optional)
• Ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
While the oven is preheating, slice the eggplant into pieces and place them on a few paper towels, and lightly salt. After 3-4 minutes, blot both sides of the eggplant sides to draw out additional water. Eggplants contain quite a bit of water and you want to remove as much as you can prior to baking. Additionally, the kosher salt will help to bring out the flavor and remove access water.
Gently arrange eggplants on the baking sheet (parchment paper is optional to prevent sticking on the baking sheet)
Lightly brush both sides of the eggplants with olive oil
Bake them for about 15-20 minutes or until tender
Remove the baked eggplants from the oven
Season them with garlic, pepper flakes, and fresh basil (if you are using)
Arrange the remainder of your ingredients of; homemade tomato sauce or high-quality marina sauce (no salt). Or small slices of tomatoes (non-seasoned), raw spinach, portabella mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese
Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese melts
Serve HOT and “Volia” they are ready!
Super Stuffed Bell Peppers
There is so much that you can do with bell peppers! One of my favorite recipes is a short and simple combo that I call “Super-Stuffed Bell Peppers.” This recipe is aimed to please all occasions. Make this today for yourself, family or friends, and enjoy!
Yields Serve: 3 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
• 3 large bell peppers
• ½ white onion
• ½ red onion
• ½ red bell pepper (additional)
• ½ yellow bell pepper (additional)
• 8 ounces of lean ground turkey
• 2 ½ cups of chopped small mushrooms (chop finer if need be)
• 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
• 2 cloves of garlic or 2-3 teaspoons of garlic
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pre-wash /clean all vegetables
In a large skillet over medium heat, add your lean ground turkey. Season to taste. Cook until the meat is completely done and brown. Make sure to stir occasionally to break apart the meat.
Note: You want to stir occasionally to ensure the meat is broken apart and is fully cooked. Drain the grease after cooking.
In a separate large mixing bowl combine the chopped ingredients of white onions, red onions, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms (season to taste with garlic cloves/garlic). Or you can chop each ingredient in all separate bowls to be used for layering inside of the bell-peppers
Add the pre-cooked lean ground turkey
Note: Sit aside the large mixing bowl of chopped ingredients and pre-cooked lean ground turkey.
Slice the top of the peppers and remove the seeds. It is important to clean out the pepper entirely, once you are done, the inside of the bell peppers will be completely empty (no seeds, etc.)
Place the bell peppers evenly on a baking sheet or glass baking dish (parchment paper is optional)
Take the chopped ingredients and evenly distribute between all three bell peppers
Note: However, if you used separate bowls for each ingredient, feel free to layer your ingredients one-by-one inside the bell peppers.
Bake on 350 F for about 15-20 minutes or until completed heated through
During the last 5 minutes of baking, remove the bell peppers from the oven, add the mozzarella cheese and place back into the oven for a wonderful melted cheese experience to top off these delicious Super-Stuffed Bell Peppers.
Thin Cinnamon Baked Apple Crisps
You have a sweet tooth and you want to eat something good and healthy, right? Then you should prepare my thin cinnamon baked apple crisps treats. Fresh out of the oven, they are simply delicious! This snack will take care of your sweet tooth craving with its’ natural sweetness and it is so simple. There are so many ways to eat an apple, mix it up a little bit, and have a few of these thin cinnamon baked apple crisp today!
Yields Serve: 2 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5-3.0 hours (approximately; baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the apple slices)
• 2 large red apples
• 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
• 1 ½ teaspoon raw honey (optional)
• 2 teaspoons of nutmeg (optional)
Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
Pre-Wash all fruit prior to cooking
Core Apples (Optional)
While the oven is preheating, slice the red apples into thin slices (1/8 inch) and place on a few paper towels and blot them gently on both sides to remove access water. You may use a very sharp knife or a mandolin slicer.
Note: For this recipe, I prepared red apples, but feel free to use other apples (e.g. granny smith). I did not peel my apples
Align baking sheet with parchment paper (Note: You may have to use two baking sheets, so you will align both baking sheets with parchment paper)
Arrange apple slices on top parchment paper/baking sheet in a single layer horizontally so that the slices are not touching each other
Sprinkle cinnamon evenly over apples on both sides
Sprinkle nutmeg evenly over apples on both sides
Drizzle raw honey evenly on one side of the apples
Bake for approximately 1.5 hours on one side and turn each apple slice over to bake for 1.5 hours. The longer the apples are in the oven the crispier they are. Additionally, baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the apple slices
Season more with cinnamon, nutmeg, and raw honey as desired (optional)
Allow thin cinnamon baked apple crisps time to cool before they are served
Note: Best served on the same day they are prepared.
Great Green Guacamole
No more store brought packages of guacamole seasoning or powder! Let’s do it fresh, green, and lively! Our bodies respond more efficiently when we nourish our system with FRESH, LIVING, and GREEN veggies! This is a simple and delicious recipe that you can combine with any and everything. It is the perfect guacamole recipe if I do say so myself! Straight from my kitchen to yours, try it and let me know how much you love it!
Yields Serve: 2 to 4 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: None
• 2-3 ripe large avocados
• 1/3 cup of cherry tomatoes, chopped (Note: seeds and pulp removed are optional)
• 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice (Note: Or you can squeeze from 1-2 small limes)
• 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (Note: Or you can squeeze from 1-2 small lemons)
• 2-3 tablespoons of finely diced red onions
• ½ cup of cilantro (finely chopped)
• ½ cup of fresh parsley (finely chopped)
• ½ teaspoon of kosher or sea salt
• Season to taste with fresh black pepper
• Add additional kosher or sea salt (optional)
Cut the avocados in half. Remove seed, place in a small bowl, and mash with a fork
Note: The guacamole should be somewhat chunky, do not over-mash.
Add the remaining ingredients of cherry tomatoes, red onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lime juice, cilantro, and parsley.
Note: Finely chop the tender stems and leaves of the fresh cilantro and parsley
Mix well to combine
Garnish with lemon and lime slices
Cover with plastic or an airtight container and chill to store in the refrigerator
Coconut Chocolate Chip Delight Drops
Do you need a burst of energy and have a craving for chocolate as well? Then you have to try my Coconut Chocolate Chip Delight Drops also known as powered pack protein balls! These are perfect when you are on the go, need a quick snack, are in the need of an afternoon energy boost, or still have to get in your protein to support your workout. There is no baking required! Just quick, simple, and clean! Drop the overrated artificial energy boosters and try these, you will be delighted!
Yields Serve: 2 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: None
Makes about 20-25 delight drops
• 1 cup old-fashioned oats
• 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (optional)
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (optional)
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
• 1/3 cup raw natural honey
• 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup-1 cup of protein powder (chocolate protein powder)
• Vegan protein powder (substitute)-optional
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Once chilled, roll into individual delight drops (protein balls) of whatever size you like
Suggested size: About 1 inch in diameter
Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week
You will be sure to get a burst of energy, packed with tons of flavor with these grilled vegetable kebabs! This dish can be the main dish for any and all occasions. A quick and easy recipe, either roast them in the oven or cook them on the grill. Veggie Kebabs are delicious in every bite; the simplicity of preparing this dish is both delicious and healthy at the same time!
Please note: You can purchase these vegetable kebabs pre-cut or you can purchase each vegetable individually and construct these kebabs yourself on a skewer.
Yields Serve: 3 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes (in the oven) or 4-7 minutes on each side if on the grill
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
• 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
• 1 red onion, cut into chunks
• 1 green zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
• 1 yellow squash, sliced into thick rounds
• 2 cups large cremini or portobello mushrooms
For the Marinade
• 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or canola oil-optional)
• 3 cloves garlic, pressed (or 3 teaspoons of minced garlic)
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon (or 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice)
• Juice of 1fresh lime (or 3-4 tablespoon of lime juice)
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon dried basil
• ½ teaspoon of lemon pepper or black pepper to taste
• ½ cup to 1 cup of natural honey
• Kosher salt to taste (optional)
Directions (In the Oven)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. While the oven is heating up, pour vegetable broth into a small pan on low heat for 2-5 minutes (optional)
3. In a small bowl, mix together vegetable broth, garlic, lemon and lime juice, oregano, basil, pepper, natural honey, salt. Add the vegetable broth warm (if you warmed it) or add the vegetable broth cold into the total mixture
4. Thread bell pepper, onion, zucchini, squash, and mushroom onto skewers. Place skewers onto a baking sheet. Brush vegetable broth mixture onto the skewers and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
5. Place into oven and roast until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.
Directions (On the Grill)
Follow all the exact same ingredients for the veggie kebabs previously listed, the marinade, and directions for cooking. Except if you cook the veggie kebab on the grill, then cook over medium heat for 4-7 minutes on each side
Sweet Potatoe Nachos
Banana Pepper Sweet Potato Nachos is the answer to those potato chip cravings! This dish will give you a little bit of sweetness, and a side of spicy flavor that you may taste with a “traditional chip”, but much healthier. There are over five vegetables in this one-dish packed with fresh herbs and spices for everyone to enjoy.
Yields Serve: 5-7 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: The total cook time is 25 minutes. However, see the specific times and instructions per the recipe
• 3 medium sweet potatoes
• 2 teaspoons of vegetable broth
• 1 ½ cup prepared black beans
• 2 cups of mild banana peppers
• 2 cups of tomatoes
• 1 cup of black olives
• ½ cup parsley
• ½ cup cilantro
• 4 green onions, sliced thin
• 1 ½ cup shredded vegan cheese
• Seasoning (use cumin, garlic, cinnamon, and Himalayan salt to taste, pepper is optional)
• Plant-based meat (optional)
1. Wash sweet potatoes (peel if desired)
2. Preheat oven to 375 to 400 F.
3. Slice into thin rounds (use a knife, mandolin, or spiralizer)
4. Place in the large bowel
5. Use 1 teaspoon to drizzle vegetable broth over sweet potatoes
6. Toss sweet potatoes with your hands
7. Drizzle an additional teaspoon over sweet potatoes and toss again
8. Arrange on 1- 2 large cookie sheets in a single layer. Season to taste. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven, flip the rounds over and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until crisp.
9. Remove pans from the oven and place all sweet potato chips onto one sheet. Top with black beans and cheese and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and top with remaining favorite toppings.
11. Add cooked plant-based meat as a topping if desired
12. Serve immediately.
Avocado Creamy Cheese Spread
Have you ever wanted a dip or spread that would satisfy you without the guilt? Then you have got to try my Avocado Creamy Cheese Spread. It is delicious, nutritious, bold, and bright bursting with so much flavor. One taste of this spread and you will never buy the store-bought brand ever again.
Yields Serve: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: No cook time
1 ½ cup of raw cashews
2 medium avocados
1 ½ cup of water
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lime juice
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
4 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
Pepper (season as desired): this is optional
1. Soak cashews overnight or for at least two hours
2. Drain water
3. Add all ingredients to the blender
Walnut Butter Bean Chili
Any night or meal is great when it comes to chili! This amazingly, tasty and good to the last drop recipe is the one you have waited on. My family enjoyed it so much and I hope you and your family do as well. It’s packed with bright, tasty, and beautiful vegetables, spices, and seasoning that will ignite your taste buds for sure! Various cook times, see recipe below.
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt
• 4 teaspoons of garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons chili powder (mild)
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 medium tomatoes (add juices) diced largely
• 1 can (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup of butter beans
• 1 medium red onion, chopped
• 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 medium carrots, chopped
• 2 ribs celery, chopped
• 1 bay leaf, chopped
• 1-2 cups of walnuts
• 1-2 cups of mushrooms
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnishing
• Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
• 2-3 drops of hot sauce or tabasco sauce (optional)
• ½ pound of plant-based meat (optional)
• Please note you can also use veggie crumbles (meat) if you prefer
1. Chop tomatoes, red onions, bell pepper, carrots and cilantro, bay leaf, celery, and toss in a bowl with salt. Add coconut oil to a flat skillet, simmer vegetables on low heat for about 10 minutes.
2. After the vegetables have simmered (about 5 minutes) add in garlic, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano, cayenne pepper (optional), and Tabasco sauce (optional). Please note; you can add more or less seasoning or spices, dependent on your preference.
3. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a large bottom pot; add the pinto beans, black beans, butter beans. Boil the beans for about 30 minutes with vegetable broth on medium heat. Add more vegetable broth and water if needed
1. Please note; you may want to pre-cook the beans prior to placing them in the chili mixture so the beans are fully cooked and tender. For this recipe, I did pre-cook the beans. If so, please follow the instructions per the package of the beans
4. Add in cooked plant-based meat (optional)
1. Please note, cook the plant-based meat before adding the meat into the chili mixture
5. Add the chopped cilantro, red vinegar wine, and chili powder mixture and tomatoes, mushrooms, and finely chopped walnuts. Stir with a large spoon until fully mixed and cook for about 10 more minutes on low.
Simple Coconut Fruit Cocktail
Any season of the year fruit cocktail is always a winner. When you want something fresh, cool, and sweet, this coconut fruit cocktail is what you should make right now. It’s really simple, quick and a treat that you can for any occasion. Try this recipe right now and tell me what you think. Believe me, you will be so satisfied; you will make this over and over and be happy that you did!
Yields Serve: 1 serving
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes (no cooking with heat or steam required)
1 cup of pineapples
2 cups of strawberry
1 ½ cup of blueberries
½ cup of organic shredded coconut
Note: Fresh or frozen fruit should be used for this recipe
Chop ingredients and stir all together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed (except the shredded coconut)
Drain any access juice on the fruit cocktail mix
Let chill for at least 15 minutes or overnight
Garnish with shredded coconut